Thursday 8 June 2023

PROFESSOR OF TECHNION UNIVERSITY IN ISRAEL, ALON WOLF WAS AWARDED DOCTOR HONORIS CAUSA OF BME



​​​​​​​Alon Wolf PhD (on the left), professor of Technion University in Haifa, Israel was awarded a doctor honoris causa of Budapest University of Technology and Economics.

What was the topic of your lecture held at BME?

My lecture was a bit different from a classical academic speech, it was about how to conduct research and entepreneurship. How to go through the process, defining the questions, approaching and testing hypothesis, to get to a dissertation or a final business product. Despite the lecture took a few hours, the tools and the method was just a highlight of the studies we have made. So probably I will come back later this year, because I was asked so by the students to hold an extended workshop.

Tell me about the collaboration with BME’s Department of Mechatronics, Optics and Mechanical Engineering Informatics, in the framework of Erasmus+!

It is important to strengthen our collaboration, going back to more, than 20 years. BME and Technion exchange students, PhD students and scholars as well, and have joint research in the fields of dynamics, control, robotics, material sciences.

The option of Erasmus+ there were some difficulties due to COVID restrictions, but once we managed to launch, the project started to accelerate.

It is fascinating, that BME and Technion is doing research on nearly the same discipline, but on different approach, creating scholars’ and student exchanges serve science, education and the future. The students get an additional perspective, which they have not been exposed at their universities. These are the tools to enable science and research to become global.

Have you been to Budapest before? How do you like our city?

Budapest is beautiful, I have been here several times. I visited the Opera House, the Margit Island Open Theatre, I feel at home each and every time I come to Budapest. It is understandable, as I have roots from Hungary. My grandfather was a soldier in the Austro-Hungarian Army. Once, when I was walking on the street, near the Synagogue, I suddenly felt the smell of my grandmother’s kitchen.

How did you feel when you were awarded at BME?

It is flattering to receive a doctor honoris causa title, standing next to Katalin Karikó, and other colleagues from the MIT and Ohio State University. As I have said in my speech held at the ceremony: ’Being a honorary doctor does not come only with the honour, it also comes with commitment to continue the collaboration and student involvement, it is not just a degree to hang on the wall.’

(László Benesóczky)

2 comments:

  1. Hello everyone. I'm Deepti Singh. I'm your admissions counselor for Japanese universities. So, today in this video. We will discuss the top 5 reasons for studying engineering in Japan.

    ReplyDelete