Wednesday 4 September 2024

PhD student from China researches microporous metal foams at BME

Du Wanrong, PhD student of BME


Interview with Du Wanrong, alumna of
Xi'an Polytechnic University, who chose BME as a location of her master’s and PhD studies, and her thesis supervisor, Csilla Wiener PhD, associate professor of BME Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Material Science and Engineering.

Where did you study before?

Du Wanrong: I graduated on BSc level at Xi'an Polytechnic University (He Haijun, PhD graduate of BME, whom we interviewed before, also graduated there).

Why did you choose to attend BME’s PhD program?

Du Wanrong: I studied at BME on MSc level, and I wanted to continue studying after my master’s degree, and I really wanted to become a PhD student.  I checked the opportunities and the possible supervisors’ publication list at Material Science and Technology Department, and I found Csilla Wiener, my future supervisor. I told her that I would like to have her as my PhD supervisor, which Csilla happily accepted. She is someone I really like to work with: I admire her dedication to research; she encourages me to work in engineering as a woman. Teaching is enjoyable for her, and she always encourages me. She often draws my attention to lectures and workshops, helps me build connections, and to do my best, which I really appreciate.

What is your PhD topic?

Csilla Wiener PhD: Wanrong’s topic is microporous metal foams. These cellular materials have significant potential applications. For example, copper foams can be used as high capacity batteries due to their high internal surface, while zinc foams are prospective materials for biodegradable implants. The advantage of degradable materials is that they eliminate the need for secondary surgical intervention to remove the implant. Our goal is to be able to produce such foams in Hungary. The manufacturing and characterization of these foams is Wanrong's main task.

Du Wanrong PhD student and her supervisor, Csilla Wiener PhD, associate professor,
BME Faculty of Mechanical Engineerinng


Is it easy to live in Hungary compared to China?

Du Wanrong: China is totally different. At first, English was difficult, and as I came here to attend my master’s programme, I was shy to talk with my international classmates.  Luckily, everyone was very friendly in BME’s international classroom, and professors were also kind and patient. They knew that my English was not sufficient, and explained in details what I missed.

One of the tasks I had to adapt to was cooking. I was not used to cooking in China, but I learned how to cook for myself.

Do you have any hobbies?

Du Wanrong: I have a lot of hobbies, like hiking, swimming, skating.

What are your plans for the future?

Du Wanrong: At the beginning, I had no idea, but now if I have a chance, I would like to continue doing research, e.g. in a post-doc position.


László Benesóczky


No comments:

Post a Comment